Poached Octopus

Octopus can be intimidating to prepare, I admit, I was nervous on my very first attempt but it turned out quite nicely- soft, tender, and flavourful -- you can serve this dish as sashimi, sushi or with sesame miso dipping sauce.

Since I first posted this, I've learned and picked up a few tips from my brother-in-law who prepares octopus for New Years dinner each year. I've incorporated these here, as well as a few new photos to update my 2017 post.

When he made it over the holidays, the octopus turned out too salty due to the salt massage. My sister-in-law was able to fix the taste by rinsing it several times in cold water, thus removing the excess salt.

Give it a try - it's sure to impress any guest!
Serves 4

Prep time 45 min
Cook time 10-12 min

4- pound octopus, fresh or frozen
3 litres of water, just enough to cover the octopus
3 cans of beer (any kind)
Approx. 1/2 cup sea salt

Wash the octopus, remove the thin membrane and cartilage from its head. Remove the beak/ face.
Massage the octopus evenly, adding salt while massaging. Do this for 45 min total, spending 5 min on each tentacle and 5 min on its head.  You will start to feel the legs "relaxing" and soften. 

Place the octopus in a large pot and add enough water to cover it. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the beer.  Cook for 10-12 min on medium heat with the lid on. It is done when you can poke a chopstick through the head.  Let it cool and carefully remove the webbed parts attaching tentacles, they are chewy pieces.
Cut into 3/4 inch slices to serve sashimi style "tako".

If you prefer to serve with a dipping sauce, make the dipping sauce (recipe below) while the octopus is cooking, 






Sesame Miso Sauce

Sugar
Japanese miso paste
Sake
Mirin
Roasted black sesame seeds

Use equal portions of each item above - I use 1 tablespoon of each.

Add all the ingredients in a blender and blend for 30-45 sec until the sauce is smooth.



Comments

Popular Posts