Carrot Jam with Ginger and Orange



I made this carrot jam to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of my blog!
I'm so grateful to all of my supporters. 
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Now, you might ask, why the heck did I make carrot jam? Looking back at all of my @bappygirl Instagram posts in the last year, twenty-five have had carrots in them and nine of my recipes here include them! 

I must love carrots! 

And why not? they are a versatile healthy vegetable, chock full of vitamin A and beta-carotene, and oh so SWEET! 

Makes 2 jars of jam

2 cups carrot, grated
1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar
1 small orange, sliced
1/2 tbsp ginger, grated
1/2 tbsp almond extract
2 tbsp lemon juice
about 2 cup water, just enough to cover the carrots in the pot

Grate the carrots and ginger in a food processor. Over medium heat, place all of the ingredients except for the almond extract in a pot and simmer for 45-50 min, until the carrots are very soft and shiny. Stir every so often to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot or burning. Add some water if needed.
Add the almond extract. Taste and adjust the sugar to your liking.

Separate the solids from the liquid with a strainer. Place the solids into a food processor and add some of the liquid. Puree for 30-40 sec. Check on the consistency and add a little more liquid to the jam if needed.





Comments

Popular Posts