Japanese Honey Sticky Ribs

This is a recipe I wish I could call my own since it's such a crowd-pleaser and easy to make. My brother-in-law is Japanese and his mother passed it along to my sister-in-law who shared it with my husband when he was still a bachelor.

For a pot luck New Years Eve party, I wanted to make something that works with a big crowd and hey - who doesn't like ribs?!  As with most great recipes - I did not tweak this one bit.

It's sweet and sour, and to borrow from the colonel - finger lickin' good. The ribs pair superbly with sake, beer or red wine - and trust me, there was plenty of that going around New Years Eve 2018!

Serves 3-4
Cook time 30 min

2 lbs short pork ribs, long ribs can be used also
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp oil

2 tbsp cornstarch
cold water

Cut the ribs into individual pieces. In a large pot with oil, brown the ribs. Once the ribs are nicely browned, add the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 min with the lid on.

Add honey and soy sauce and bring to a boil.

Add the cornstarch and water mixture to thicken the sauce. The sauce should be sticky and thick and coat the ribs - add more cornstarch + water as necessary to bring to this consistency.

Serve with a bowl of rice and a light salad or grilled vegetables.

Comments

Popular Posts