Seaweed Soup (Miyeok Guk)

Fun fact! Seaweed soup or Miyeok Guk is also known as Korean birthday soup! 

Why? Koreans prepare this soup for mothers who've just had a baby. Seaweed contains a lot of iodine and iron which helps to replenish the loss of blood during childbirth. 
Traditionally, on each birthday, this soup is consumed, as a reminder to show respect to mothers. 

Serves 6

Prep time 30 min
Cook time 1 hour


1 package 50 gr dried seaweed (not to be confused with dried kelp which is used to make dashi)
10 oz beef, strip loin or flank steak, sliced thinly
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce 
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 large onion, sliced (optional) 
1-2 cups beef stock (optional) 
1/2 tsp salt
water

Soak seaweed in water for 1hr or more and wash thoroughly for 2 to 3 times. 

Marinate the sliced beef with the minced garlic, 1 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp soy sauce for 15 min.


In a large pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp sesame oil and fry onions for 4-5 min. Stir in beef and cook for another 4 min, until it's almost cooked. Add seaweed, the fish sauce and 1 tbsp soy sauce and cook for a few minutes. 
Dried packaged seaweed
Add beef stock (if using) and fill the pot with water to 2/3 full. 
Simmer for 1hr. 


Add salt, taste and adjust.
Soaked seaweed
Thinly sliced beef








Comments

  1. I really, really love seaweed in soups and you know what? It's been forever since I've had some in my soup. I've been using spinach and baby greens as my go-to replacement because I can get those easier. But now you got me thinking ... I wonder how my nori wraps would taste in soup. Thanks for the idea and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts